The Hardangervidda National Park Route
Welcome to a holiday by car along the Hardangervidda National Park Route- in the spring, summer and autumn!
The Hardangervidda National Park Route, also known as the Telemark Mountain Road (Fjellveien), will allow you to experience Hardangervidda and the the stunning mountains in Telemark in the spring, summer and autumn. It is perfect for exploring the area by car.
Where is the Hardangervidda National Park Route?
The Hardangervidda National Park Route follows the mountain roads in Telemark. It runs from the Heddal Stave Church (Heddal stavkirke), past Tuddal and the mountain Gaustadtoppen, to the town of Rjukan. It continues to Rauland through Skinnarbu by the Møsvatn lake, and alongside the Totak lake through the Arabygdi village to Haukeli and the Haukeli Mountain. There are several ways to access the Hardangervidda mountain plateau along the route.
The route is marked as "Fjellveien i Telemark". It has multiple information boards with maps that show you where to find the main points of interest along the way!
Enjoy the magnificent scenery along the route:
- The mighty Gaustatoppen, the tallest mountain in Telemark
- Hardangervidda, the largest high mountain plateau in Northern Europe
- Enjoy the grand view at the Observation Points along the route
- The mountain passage between Tuddal and Rjukan, between Rjukan and Rauland, and across the Haukeli Mountain
- Traditional mountain village communities with old farms in Tuddal and at Rauland
- The small town with distinctive architecture at Rjukan
- Valleys, lakes, rivers and waterfalls
There are several options for things to see and do along the route:
- Visit museums, stave churches, waterfalls and cable cars
- Take short, easy hikes on the high mountain trails, or along the lakes and rivers
- Bicycle on the Hardangervidda plateau
- Join one of the guided tours
- Go fishing
What will you see along the National Park Route?
Here are some suggestions for holidays by car along the National Park Route. Pick the one that appeals to you!
The best of Hardangervidda, 5 days - for your first visit to the area, includes the highlights
Outdoor experiences and hikes, 4 days - for easy hikes and beautiful scenery
The children's favourites, 3 days - for activities for children along the National Park Route
Art and culture, 2 days - for those interested in art, crafts, museums and exhibitions
Experience the Tinn villages, 3 days - a taster of Norwegian crafts, food and cultural heritage
Plan your holiday by car now! Here are some practical tips.
Enjoy your journey along the National Park Route - the Mountain Road of Telemark!
Map of the Hardangervidda National Park Route:
The National Park Route - distance in kilometres and car travel time
|Journey distance from - to||Km||Tid|
|Heddal-Rjukan via Gaustatoppen||66||1hour 10min|
|Heddal - Rjukan via rv 37||69||1 hour|
|Rjukan - Rauland, rv 37||47||45 min|
|Rauland - Haukeli, rv 362||41||40 min|
|Haukeli - Haukeliseter, E-134||27||25 min|
|Total (via Gaustatoppen)||179||3 hours|
|Rjukan - Imingfjell via Austbygde||64||1hour 25min|