Frequently Asked Questions
What is the shortest road to Hardangervidda? What is the location of the National Park Route? Here you will find the answers to frequently asked questions about Hardangervidda and the National Park Route.
1. What is the location of the Hardangervidda National Park Route- the Telemark Mountain Route?
The National Park Route is the driving route that runs south-east of Hardangervidda, from Heddal by Tuddal and Gaustatoppen (or alternatively by Tinnsjøveien) - Rjukan - Skinnarbu - Rauland - Edland - Haukeliseter in Telemark.
2. What is the Hardangervidda National Park Route?
- The Hardangervidda National Park Route is a driving route for car tourists that runs between east and west. It is well-suited for you who are taking a holiday by car in Norway in the spring, summer or autumn.
- The National Park Route runs along a road with some of the most stunning scenery that Telemark has to offer.
- From the National Park Route you can experience Hardangervidda, Gaustatoppen, Rjukan, Rauland and the Haukeli Mountain.
3. How long is the journey distance between the sites along the National Park Route?
- Heddal - Rjukan via Tuddal/Gaustatoppen: 66 km / 1 1hour 10 min
- Heddal - Rjukan via Tinnsjøvegen (rv 37): 69 km / 1 hour
- Rjukan - Rauland rv 37: 47 km / 45 min
- Rauland - Haukeli via rv 362 Arabygdi: 41 km / 40 min
- Haukeli - Haukeliseter E-134: 27 km / 25 min
Total 179 km (via Tuddal/Gaustatoppen), 3 hour of driving
4. What is the shortest route to Hardangervidda?
- From Rjukan: Take the Krossobanen (cable car) and follow the Solstien(The Sun Trail) (4,3 km) by foot.
- From Rauland: Drive on the Kromvikveien and walk to Falkeriset (1,5 km).
- Read more about the shortest routes to Hardangervidda
5. Can you drive to the Hardangervidda National Park by car?
From the National Park Route, which follows the south-eastern part of the plateau, there are no road to the national park. There is a several hour walk to the park from all the entry gates.
The National Park is only a small section of the plateau. If you want to experience Hardangervidda, there are many easily accessible sites outside the National Park that you can visit.
Location of the Hardangervidda National Park Route:
The National Park Route - distance in kilometres and car travel time
|Journey distance from - to||Km||Tid|
|Heddal-Rjukan via Gaustatoppen||66||1hour 10min|
|Heddal - Rjukan via rv 37||69||1 hour|
|Rjukan - Rauland, rv 37||47||45 min|
|Rauland - Haukeli, rv 362||41||40 min|
|Haukeli - Haukeliseter, E-134||27||25 min|
|Total (via Gaustatoppen)||179||3 hours|
|Rjukan - Imingfjell via Austbygde||64||1hour 25min|